Now I’m not making references to the regular Facebook or Twitter or any of the social network kind of writing. In fact I’m not even writing about the kind that needs emotional validation from familiar strangers via “likes” or “emoticons,” of any kind. Wonderful as these all are, I’m more interested in this one called “Professional Writing.”
The word “Professional” in its adjective means “pertaining to, or in accordance with the standards of a profession” (Wikidic). The key word here is to be an expert. You wonder why the Best writers or folks who won the Nobel Laureate Prize in Literature studied about the art of writing and of writers?
For you to be termed a professional writer in any field, you certainly need to attend conferences, meetings, workshops, etc organized by other writers or a body of writers from a particular geographical area. This means, if you are a professional writer from Ghana, you have certainly read, studied, discussed, engaged or met the literati in Ghana.
Imagine someone who is about to publish his or her first book. Also imagine something else: this man or woman have no clue whatsoever about the use of irony, metaphors, plot and setting. Such a person would spend so much time in birthing an ugly hungry art!
In the field of Literature for instance, you are not deeply spirited in the science of expression if you have no clue to:
- The art of storytelling.
- The hook of curiosity (which is the PLOT).
- The revelations of human nature (which is CHARACTER).
- The sense of place (which is SETTING)’
- Who is telling the story? (which is the POINT OF VIEW).
- What the story means (which is the THEME).
- The twists and surprises in stories (which is the IRONY).
And so much more…
I bet you, if you are truly a professional writer then, you should be able to do the following with ease:
- Identify the key verbs in a piece of writing.
- Analyze the contents therein.
- Know how to compare/contrast as well as describe a piece of writing.
- Discuss, examine, evaluate, illustrate and interpret a piece of writing and most importantly,
- Come up with a near perfect abstract!
It is therefore advisable, even more appreciable, that men and women who intend to unite the world with their pens, devices, emotions, words, gestures or expressions should do so with the knowledge of the standards!
A perfect art is born after consulting the foundations of such art.